Conferences & Symposia
Since 2001 the Mozart Society of America has organized conferences that attract an international group of scholars and performers as participants and attendees. These conferences explore various themes in Mozart studies through papers, panel discussions, library- or museum-sponsored exhibitions, and performances.
Our Next Meetings
To be announced
Past Conferences and Study Sessions
- Mozart and Salzburg. A joint conference of the Mozart Society of America and the Society for Eighteenth-Century Music. Salzburg, 26-29 May 2022.
- Talking About Race and Gender in The Magic Flute – MSA Study Session and Annual Business Meeting. Via Zoom, 22 November 2020.
- Bach and Mozart: Connections, Patterns, Pathways. A joint conference of the Mozart Society of America and the American Bach Society. Stanford University, 13-16 February 2020.
- Mozart and Modernity. University of Western Ontario, 20-22 October 2017.
- Mozart and His Contemporaries. Tufts University, Medford, MA, 11-13 September 2015.
- Mozart in Our Past and in Our Present. Minneapolis and St. Paul, 20–23 October 2011.
- Mozart in Prague. A joint conference of the Mozart Society of America and the Society for Eighteenth-Century Music. Prague, 9-13 June 2009.
- Mozart and ‘Die Zauberflöte.’ Santa Fe Opera, 29 June-1 July 2006.
- Mozart’s Choral Music: Composition, Contexts, Performance. Indiana University, Bloomington, 10-12 February 2006.
- Mozart and the Keyboard Culture of His Time. Cornell University, 28-30 March 2003.
- Mozart in Las Vegas. University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 9-10 February 2001.
Sessions at the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
- 2020: [conference cancelled due to coronavirus, session rescheduled for 2021, Toronto, OR]
- 2019: Music and Mobility (Joint Session with Society for Eighteenth-Century Music). Denver, CO.
- 2018: Mozart the Wunderkind in Context. Orlando, FL.
- 2016: Mozart and the Promise of the Enlightened Stage. Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2015: Eighteenth-Century Views of Mozart and his Music. Los Angeles, CA.
- 2014: Mozart and his Situation. Williamsburg, VA.
- 2013: Mozart and the Concept of Genius. Cleveland, OH.
- 2012: Mozart’s Chamber Music and its Contexts and Mozart and the Allegorical Stage. San Antonio, TX.
- 2010: Teaching Mozart. Albuquerque, NM.
- 2009: Biography and Portraiture in Mozartean Myth-Making. Richmond, VA.
- 2008: Aspects of Mozart. Portland, OR.
- 2007: Mozart After 250. Atlanta, GA.
- 2006: Making Opera: Mozart in the Theatre. Montréal, Canada.
- 2005: Restoring Mozart. Las Vegas, NV.
- 2004: Mozartean Couplings. Boston, MA.
- 2003: Mozart and the Habsburgs. Los Angeles, CA.
Mozart in North America: The Eighteenth Century. Los Angeles, CA.
- 2002: Mozartean Contexts. Colorado Springs, CO.
- 2001: Music in Mozart’s Vienna. New Orleans, LA.
- 2000: Mozart and Women. Philadelphia, PA.
- 1999: Mozart and Eighteenth-Century Musical Dialect. Milwaukee, WI.
- 1998: Mozart and Representation. University of Notre Dame, IN.
Panel Sessions at Mostly Mozart Festival, Lincoln Center
- 2020 Festival cancelled due to coronavirus
- Mozart’s Magic Flute: In His Time and Ours, 20 July 2019.
- Mozart the Maverick, 29 July 2018.
- Mozart the Wunderkind, 30 July 2017.
- Mozart’s Operatic Poets, 7 August 2016.
- Listening to Mozart, 15 August 2015.
- Mozart and the Promise of Opera, 16 August 2014.
- Mozart Revealed, 17 August 2013.