Conferences & Symposia
Since 2001 the Mozart Society of America has organized conferences that attract an international group of scholars and performers as participants and attendees. These conferences explore various themes in Mozart studies through papers, panel discussions, library- or museum-sponsored exhibitions, and performances.
Our Next Meetings
Call for Papers: MSA session at ASECS, St Louis March 9-11, 2023
American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies 53rd Annual Meeting
Abstracts due: Monday, October 24, 2022, 11:59pm EDT
Relocating Mozart: New Contexts for Mozart’s Music [Mozart Society of America session]
Pierpaolo Polzonetti, University of California, Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org
What happens when the music of Mozart relocates outside the immediate contexts where or for which it originated? From Mozart’s time right up to the present day, Mozart’s music has been relocated into new contexts, on a global scale, often in new and unpredictable performative settings. The global appeal and versatility of Mozart’s music to new cultural and social contexts provoke questions about shifting and layering of values and meanings in new times and spaces. We invite contributions that place Mozart and his music into broad geographical, intellectual, social, cultural, and political contexts. Contributions might discuss issues of place, geography, and environment; aesthetics; circulation of music and material culture; patronage and economics; artistic life; reception of Mozart and his legacy; and the diverse contexts in which Mozart’s music was performed and heard.
See also Encounters with Eighteenth-Century Music
Past Conferences and Study Sessions
- Mozart and Salzburg. A joint conference of the Mozart Society of America and the Society for Eighteenth-Century Music. Salzburg, 26-29 May 2022.
- Talking About Race and Gender in The Magic Flute – MSA Study Session and Annual Business Meeting. Via Zoom, 22 November 2020.
- Bach and Mozart: Connections, Patterns, Pathways. A joint conference of the Mozart Society of America and the American Bach Society. Stanford University, 13-16 February 2020.
- Mozart and Modernity. University of Western Ontario, 20-22 October 2017.
- Mozart and His Contemporaries. Tufts University, Medford, MA, 11-13 September 2015.
- Mozart in Our Past and in Our Present. Minneapolis and St. Paul, 20–23 October 2011.
- Mozart in Prague. A joint conference of the Mozart Society of America and the Society for Eighteenth-Century Music. Prague, 9-13 June 2009.
- Mozart and ‘Die Zauberflöte.’ Santa Fe Opera, 29 June-1 July 2006.
- Mozart’s Choral Music: Composition, Contexts, Performance. Indiana University, Bloomington, 10-12 February 2006.
- Mozart and the Keyboard Culture of His Time. Cornell University, 28-30 March 2003.
- Mozart in Las Vegas. University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 9-10 February 2001.
Sessions at the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
- 2022: No MSA session. Baltimore, MD.
- 2021: Charles Burney’s Tour in Perspective. Online.
- 2020: [conference cancelled due to coronavirus, session rescheduled for 2021, Toronto, OR]
- 2019: Music and Mobility (Joint Session with Society for Eighteenth-Century Music). Denver, CO.
- 2018: Mozart the Wunderkind in Context. Orlando, FL.
- 2016: Mozart and the Promise of the Enlightened Stage. Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2015: Eighteenth-Century Views of Mozart and his Music. Los Angeles, CA.
- 2014: Mozart and his Situation. Williamsburg, VA.
- 2013: Mozart and the Concept of Genius. Cleveland, OH.
- 2012: Mozart’s Chamber Music and its Contexts and Mozart and the Allegorical Stage. San Antonio, TX.
- 2010: Teaching Mozart. Albuquerque, NM.
- 2009: Biography and Portraiture in Mozartean Myth-Making. Richmond, VA.
- 2008: Aspects of Mozart. Portland, OR.
- 2007: Mozart After 250. Atlanta, GA.
- 2006: Making Opera: Mozart in the Theatre. Montréal, Canada.
- 2005: Restoring Mozart. Las Vegas, NV.
- 2004: Mozartean Couplings. Boston, MA.
- 2003: Mozart and the Habsburgs. Los Angeles, CA.
Mozart in North America: The Eighteenth Century. Los Angeles, CA.
- 2002: Mozartean Contexts. Colorado Springs, CO.
- 2001: Music in Mozart’s Vienna. New Orleans, LA.
- 2000: Mozart and Women. Philadelphia, PA.
- 1999: Mozart and Eighteenth-Century Musical Dialect. Milwaukee, WI.
- 1998: Mozart and Representation. University of Notre Dame, IN.
Panel Sessions at Mostly Mozart Festival, Lincoln Center
- 2020 Festival cancelled due to coronavirus
- Mozart’s Magic Flute: In His Time and Ours, 20 July 2019.
- Mozart the Maverick, 29 July 2018.
- Mozart the Wunderkind, 30 July 2017.
- Mozart’s Operatic Poets, 7 August 2016.
- Listening to Mozart, 15 August 2015.
- Mozart and the Promise of Opera, 16 August 2014.
- Mozart Revealed, 17 August 2013.